Bass Lake Road Streetscape Project
Crystal is one of five corridor cities along the METRO Blue Line Extension (Bottineau LRT) that is proposed to stretch from downtown Minneapolis through the cities of Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, and Brooklyn Park where the line will terminate north of Hwy. 610. The Bottineau LRT will have 11 stations, one of which is located in the City of Crystal in the southwest quadrant of the County Rd. 10 (Bass Lake Rd.) and County Rd. 81 (Bottineau Blvd.) intersection. After several community meetings, a station area plan was completed in 2016. One of the concepts that emerged from those community meetings was the proposed reconstruction of the streetscape along Bass Lake Rd. including replacing some of the existing streetscape with parallel on-street parking to create a "main street" feel. The city is reconstructing the north side streetscape in May−July 2018.
Bass Lake Road Streetscape Project (May-July 2018):
• New sidewalk, boulevard treatments, landscape beds and related features from Elmhurst Ave. to the former Hampshire Ave. (now the driveway between Nokomis Shoes and Crystal Town Center).
• Twelve on-street parallel parking spaces in front of the block of buildings between Elmhurst and Sherburne Ave. (no reduction in traffic lanes).
• Enhanced lighting:
- Retrofit existing street lights with LED luminaires on both sides of Bass Lake Rd./56th Ave. from the BNSF rail corridor to former Hampshire Ave.
- Add LED luminaires to the two Sherburne signal poles currently without lights.
- Install new light poles with LED luminaires in both city-owned parking lots
• New benches, bike racks and trash/recycling receptacles at various points along the streetscape.
• Upgraded pedestrian crosswalk marking on all four sides of the Sherburne intersection.
Funding Sources (no General Fund dollars):
$200,000: Hennepin County Transit Oriented Development Grant
$330,000: Tax Increment
$75,000: Street Light Utility
$45,000: EDA fund balance
Traffic Changes during Construction:
Westbound Bass Lake Road will be reduced to one lane from Yates Avenue to 300 feet east of West Broadway. This lane restriction will likely continue for most of the construction period. Drivers traveling west on Bass Lake Road should expect delays and plan accordingly, especially during peak hours.
In the city parking lot on the north side of Bass Lake Road at Sherburne Ave., the south row of parking stalls will be closed to serve as the contractor’s construction staging area. The middle and north rows of the parking stalls will remain available.
Map and aerial photo showing lane closure on Bass Lake Road.
Aerial photo showing partial closure of parking lot at Bass Lake Road and Sherburne Ave.
Detailed construction plans (large file).
On April 3, 2018 the City Council awarded the construction contract to Pember Companies.
A detailed design, slideshow and summary memo for the 2018 project were presented to the City Council on Nov. 21, 2017.
An updated design concept and a summary memo were presented to the City Council on Aug. 15, 2017.
Updated design concept and a summary memo presented to the City Council on July 18, 2017.
A design workshop was held on June 22, 2017. Here are the materials from that meeting:
Workshop Posters (text)
Workshop Boards 1-2 (Existing Conditions)
Workshop Boards 3-5 (Inventory and Opportunities)
Workshop Boards 6-7 (Proposed Redesign)
2016 Bass Lake Road Station Area Plan
The city staff contact for this project is Community Development Director John Sutter at (763) 531-1130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.