Public Works

The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of streets, water supply, sanitary sewer service, storm drainage systems, parks and trails, and all public properties and facilities. Public works includes the streets, parks and utilities departments as well as the engineering division and forestry.

Who should I call… Tell me about…

Locating underground utilities
If you are planning a project that will involve moving soil, removing soil, or other disturbing soil, you need to contact Gopher State One Call (GSOC) at least 48 business hours before starting your project. Once you have contacted GSOC and submitted a ticket for your project, locators will locate the underground facilities that may be impacted by your project. For more information about the GSOC system, visit Please contact GSOC before digging. It is the law, it is free, and your safety may depend on it.
     • Gopher State One Call number is 811
     • You may also submit tickets online

Reporting a water main break or sewer backup outside

If you notice a water main break or sewer back up that is not in a building, please call:

  • Main Utilities Department number 763-531-1166, Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
  • After hours, Hennepin County Emergency Communications at 952-258-5321. City on-call staff will then be notified.

What to do after your sewer line is cleaned
After you have had your sewer line cleaned, call the utilities department at 763-531-1166. Please let us know your address, the date the work was done, who your contractor was, and your contact information in case we have any follow up questions. The utility department will then check the main sewer line in the street to make sure it is clear of roots or debris. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Sewer gas odor in your home
If you are experiencing a sewer gas odor in your home, please try this first before contacting the City: Pour at least one gallon of water down the floor drain(s) in your basement. The water in the drain’s trap will act as a barrier to block the gas from entering your home. From time to time this water evaporates and thus the gas smell enters the home.

Report a pothole
Call the streets division at 763-531-1164 to report a pothole. Please leave your name, phone number, and the location of the pothole. Please note that not all roads in the City are maintained by the city. Hennepin County is responsible for the county highways (for example Douglas Dr., Brooklyn Blvd.) in Crystal. To report a pothole (or other issue) on a County Highway, please visit To report an issue on a MnDOT highway, please visit

Report a snow removal issue
After a snowfall of 1.5 inches, all city streets are plowed edge to edge. Crews work systematically to clear all the streets; however, routes may change due to a variety of factors such as parked vehicles or traffic. When the weather cooperates, crews start very early in the morning to clear main roads before the morning rush hour. During snow events, the focus is on main roads and hills. It is unlikely a road would be intentionally missed. If you think your street has been missed, please contact the streets superintendent at, 763-531-1164. Keep in mind some streets are maintained by other jurisdictions. With warmer temperatures and melting snow pack, it may turn slushy. Some residents may see the slush and think the road has not been plowed. For more information, review these City of Crystal Snow Plowing FAQs.

Report a fallen tree in the public right-of-way or on a city street
If the tree or branch is blocking the road, please call 911. If the tree or branch is not causing an immediate safety concern, please contact the streets department at 763-531-1164 to report a fallen tree in the public right-of-way or on a city street. Please leave your name, phone number, and the location of the fallen tree. Please note that the Streets Department does NOT remove trees on private property.

Report broken playground equipment at a City park
If you see a piece of broken or vandalized playground equipment at a city park, please call Park Maintenance at (763) 531-1158 and leave your name, phone number, park location, and description of the concern. City staff will investigate the concern and take necessary actions as appropriate.